How to Make Dog Food
The commercial or processed dog food is considered to be injurious for your dog's health as it comprises preservatives, and most times even the nutrients are overcooked. This type of food may cause allergies, severe itching and many health related problems in dogs. Hence, to avoid such conditions, it is always recommended to give your dog food free of contaminations, artificial flavors and colors. Since most part of the dog's nutritional requirements is the same as humans, try making your own dog food containing water, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals in right proportions to keep your dog happy and healthy. A simple home recipe dog food comprises homemade dog food ingredients like cook brown rice, ground meat, vegetables, water and small amount of brewers yeast. Since dogs can't digest vegetables very well, the vegetables should be processed before adding. The quantity of water mainly depends upon whether you want to keep the dog food dry or wet. Dog Food Preparation
Following are few steps that will help you in preparing homemade dog food:
Recipes for Homemade Dog Food
- Always cook the meat before giving it to the dog. Meats recommended to be used are liver, beef, tuna, lamb or chicken. In fact, organ meat (like liver, kidneys, etc) and eggs are quite healthy for the dog.
- You can try preparing a mixture of ground turkey, rice and carrot for the dog. Meals containing ground beef, brown rice, brewer's yeast and carrots can also be considered.
- Since peanuts are the only nuts that are safe for the dog, you can prepare dog biscuits by mixing peanuts, butter, biscuits, flour, bone meal, powdered milk, brewers yeast and carrots.
- Bone meal and raw meaty bones are two dog food finest ingredients that should be added to the meals to ensure the dogs are getting enough calcium.
- Use of oatmeal, pasta, potatoes, etc., will maintain the dog's starch requirement, and adding grind eggshells will also increase the nutrient content of the meal.
- Some foods that can be unhealthy for the dog and should be avoided are chocolates, coffee, tea, grapes, raisins, raw eggs, nutmeg and onions.
Following are some simple homemade dog food recipes that are nutritious and also easy to prepare. Recipe 1 Ingredients
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1 cup raw liver
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 10 oz shrimp or lobster
- 1 boiled potato
- cup wheat germ
- cup blueberries
- cup brown rice
- cup brewer's yeast
- A tad of cinnamon
In a processor, add beef, boiled potato and shrimp or lobster. Crush the blueberries into a smooth paste and put into the processor. Now add the remaining ingredients and blend well. This meal has to be served fresh and raw to the dog. Recipe 2 Ingredients
- 8 cups oats
- 6 cups barley
- 3-4 bunches of broccoli (stems grated and flowerettes chopped
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 lbs carrots (grated)
- bunch parsley (chopped)
- 6 zucchini (grated)
Cook oats separately, and brown rice and barley together in two different pots. Allow them to cool, preferably overnight. In a processor, add chopped vegetables and blend well to form a thick puree. Combine all the ingredients, make small balls and serve to the dog. You can also freeze it for future consumption.
Hence, making your own dog food requires a balanced mixture of 40% meat, 30% fiber and 30% starch. This variable can slightly change as per the dog's breed and size. Before switching to a homemade diet from processed food, it is always suggested to consult a veterinarian. Start switching by adding small amounts of homemade food to the dog's regular dry food, and as the pet gets acquainted to the taste, gradually increase the quantity.
- Nutritious Dog Food - Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes
While most people are comfortable and accustomed to feeding their pet ready dog food, there are many who dispute the nutritional value of these packaged foods, and are suspicious of their contents. Some owners are concerned that homemade dog food...
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Taking care of a pet dog is surely fun as well as a great responsibility too. It is every dog owner's wish to give his pet the best, be it the comfort of a home or the food that he feeds the dog. As the advertisements of commercial dog foods...
- Natural Dog Food Recipes
Commercial or processed dog food is harmful for your dog's health as it contains preservatives and sometimes the nutrients are over-cooked. This food may cause your dog to suffer from allergies, severe itching and many other health related problems....
- Best Dog Food For Boxers
It can get quite confusing if you have a boxer and don't really know what to feed it. And why this confusion? Because there are several such breeds that need to be fed particular kinds of dog food for effective care. Yes, your confusion is justified....
- Low Protein Dog Food For Liver Diseases
Liver disease is one of the common disorders affecting mostly older dogs. There are different causes of canine liver disease, some of them being, unhealthy diet, trauma, infections, metabolic diseases, etc. Liver diseases in dogs can be cured with...